Thursday 29 August 2013

Too cool to be a gospel fool?


This summer I've been enjoying reading Jennie Allen's book 'Anything' along with some bible study notes provided FREE on the net by the wonderful bloggers at http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/ and as I started late, I'm still enjoying it when most have probably finished it, due to a busy summer finishing my post-grad course. Phew! I'm enjoying week 7 and it's pretty memory verse as seen here:

Today my husband and I were reading this passage from 1 Corinthians 1:

18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
    and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach[b] to save those who believe. 

This passage indicated to us there are two stark ways ways of living with the cross. Either we unabashedly strive for Jesus in our conversations and tell others the gospel truth which God will use to save them and give them eternal life (!) ; in doing so we may find others think we are ridiculous. Or on the other hand we play it cool, blend in with the crowd and give Jesus a cool side-sweep as we play down the amazing gift of eternal joy it is to follow him and how it means giving up our life and everything as we know it, laying it down and getting far more pleasure than we ever imagined. 

I'm so so guilty of the latter. 
And after all that the cross has achieved in bringing about payment for my sin, showing the depths of love God has for his broken people and allowing me into God's majestic presence. (Actually I need to meditate some more on what the cross is! There's so much!) 
Why am I so shame-faced and shy of speaking of this act of love, of the instrument of torture (roman cross) you gladly endured in humility for the world that rejected you, Jesus? ('Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers') The reason is, I know it's folly; it sounds weak, not strong; crazy or barbaric, not humane; like a failed attempt, rather than a triumph; like a pitiful silence, rather than a happy party; like gravity, rather than frivolity.

Please would my everyday conversation start to matter. Please would weakness be my way?
Please God, would you help us to trust you? The gospel is amazing and it has saved even me: I can rejoice in the words you said seen in the book of Isaiah: 'my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.'  Isaiah 55 v 11
To help us I have some questions. I want to spend more time mediating on this truth - I don't do enough meditating, letting my mind absorb the amazing depths of scripture! 
Stay blessed beloved ones!
Questions for me and you:
  • Do I daily meditate on the fullness of life in Christ?
  • Do I want to be popular with the crowd and blend in more than I want to be obedient to Jesus and do what is hard for me (when I like to be liked)?
  • Am I convinced that it's God's power that saves others (and me and mine) through a message the world scoffs at? Or am I trying hard to make the whole think more palatable to those around me?
  • Is my faith like some embarrassing scar that I try my best to ignore, or is it the best message of hope to those hungry for God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment